Guest Blogger: Let's Bake With What Claire Baked!
There is nothing more satisfying than whipping up some home baking and knowing that you did it all yourself. So, seeing as it’s a quiet Sunday, blogger Claire of What Claire Baked shared one of her amazing recipes with us…
Gluten Free Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake
Ingredients (serves 6)
150g gluten free self-raising flour
150g Greek yoghurt
75g light brown Muscovado sugar
75g caster sugar
3 medium eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
50g butter (cubed)
50g caster sugar
2 Pink Lady apples (sliced)
1. Preheat the oven to 190c/170c fan.
2. Thinly slice the apples.
3. Add the 50g of butter (cubed) and the 50g caster sugar to an oven proof medium frying pan.
4. Cover the surface with slices of apple and place over a medium heat on the hob.
5. Keeping a close eye on the pan, allow the sugar and butter to melt, forming a caramel, starting to cook the apples. Caramel should be a medium golden colour when you remove the pan from the heat (10-12 minutes). Set aside to cool down slightly.
6. Once the apples are caramelised make the sponge mixture. Add all sponge ingredients to a bowl and mix with an electric mixer until fully combined.
7. Pour the sponge mix over the caramelised apples. Ensure an even coverage and flatten with a spatula.
8. Bake in the oven for around 22 minutes, until the sponge is golden and cooked.
9. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before turning upside down onto a plate or cooling rack. Serve soon after cooking, or allow to cool completely.