6 Special Abandoned Buildings Spotted Around Glasgow
There’s something quite fascinating about abandoned buildings. They serve as reminders of what has been and how times have changed.
Like many cities all over the world, Glasgow has its own share of forgotten places and times. From Victorian hospitals to disused railway stations, there are many buildings in Glasgow that lie vacant without much notice in day-to-day life. So, we’ve put together together a shortlist of some of our favourites…
St. Peter’s Seminary
Just outside the city stands St. Peter’s Seminary. Commissioned by the Archbishop of Glasgow in 1958 and opened in 1966, its purpose was to turn young men into priests. However, with its location being quite far out, it didn’t attract as many attendees as once thought and closed its doors in 1980. Over time there have been many plans to change the use of this grand building, for example, hotels and art space, but nothing has materialised yet. For now, it stays vacant with nature and graffiti taking over the walls.
Botanic Gardens Railway Station
Located in the West End of Glasgow, the Botanic Gardens Railway Station first opened in 1896. It consisted of 2 platforms and was in use for many years, but shut permanently in 1939 and has remained silent since then. Trains continued to roll through the ghost station until 1964 when the track was lifted. Part of the station building was destroyed by a fire in 1970, therefore a section of the railway had to be demolished for safety reasons. In 2007, plans were put forward to turn the space into a nightclub or exhibition unit, however, it was quickly rejected. The railway station remains abandoned to this day; silent, overgrown, and off-limits to the public – unless you’re good at climbing!
Opened in the Victorian Era in 1889, this old “asylum” stands tall on the east edge of the city. It served patients for 100 years but closed its doors in 1996. With the striking building looking like something from a gothic horror story, it is currently being restored into luxury accommodation…Not sure many people will be desperate to live there any time soon, what do you reckon?
Glasgow Zoo was once a place for animal lovers to come together and enjoy the many exotic animals the zoo had to offer. It’s doors first opened in 1947, but by the 1990’s it had hit hard financial times and with claims of animal cruelty lingering, it decided to shut down for good in 2003. It now is neglected and is currently being taken over by nature, which is quite ironic. From the photos, it looks as though nothing, expect the animals, has been moved or sorted. Totally abandoned.
Govanhill Baths are Glasgow’s last remaining Edwardian public bathhouse, that opened in 1917. It which originally consisted of 3 pools, public baths and a washroom. Rumour has it that during its time it served as washing facilities for local residents and even a temporary morgue for casualties of World War 2. These historic baths were closed in 2001 by the city council, claiming it was becoming too costly to keep them open, with not enough people using them. Since they have closed, space has been used for many events, such as a theatre and open days and Sub Club’s Sensu Haloween Party. However, since its closure, local residents have been campaigning for the baths to be re- opened and in 2015 it was awarded a £1.2 million grant, which means plans are in motion to have them reopened by 2018!
Glasgow Central Station Victorian Underground Platform
Originally opened in 1896, the lower levels of the railway were separate from the top of the station and in redevelopment between 1901 and 1905, they were joined by the Caledonian Railway and became Central Station. However, with other more popular modes of transport available at the time, such as trams and buses, the platforms shut down in the 1960’s. Years later, one of the platforms was incorporated into the new Argyle line, but the other one was completely abandoned. It has stayed that way for over 30 years, lying empty and eerie. If you are interested in going and viewing them, you can now go on tours of the old platforms of Grand Central Station.
***Words by Holly Anne Ross***